Over 80 players returned to 'playa' on Camps Bay last night with the opening 6 matches of the Beach Rugby Series wowing spectators and beach goers as Spring Season kicked off.
The Spring Season is the biggest ever for the Beach Rugby Series with CIPLA Nutrition, Switch Fitness, WheyO, Flying Fish and the 'Official Clubhouse' Cafe Caprice.
Players old and young took to the field with the Camps Bay Legends showing why they are rumoured to 'own the beach' with an impressive victory 5 tries to 0 against a Caprice Staff side who were game to the end but out played by their more experienced opponents.
The Switch Players side, one that on it's day and on grass would have been a match for any in the world in the big boy game with former South Africa centre Robbie Fleck and England World Cup winner Stuart Abbott pulling strings. The sand is a great equalizer though and at times the legs failed but not enough for the Players side not to come away unbeaten on the evening beating the SA Miller Flying Fish side 3.1 and then draw with an impressive Husk All-Stars side 2-2.
The Husk All-Stars representing the African Coconut Water included a number of experienced touch footie stars and the side steps and speed was there for everyone to see but despite the athleticism, the side drew both their games 2-2 and then 1-1 with Caprice Cobras.
The Cobras come into the series as a new team to the beach but one of the favourites following their success in the internal UCT leagues on grass. Their experience told and despite at times struggling for a little beach fitness they found their feet and following the early draw with Husk, they ran riot with a 3-1 win in the final game of the evening against Flying Fish.
Quietly going about their business were the Inbetweeners. Finalists in the Autumn and with speedster Raph Jetpha in their midst once again, the boys in Violet played some nice football in taking a 4-1 win over a young Switch Members team.
Tournament Director, Tom Burwell said of the opening evening "Great evening, awesome action, 4 wins and 2 draws goes along way to show how close this season is going to be. Seeing touch stars, beach athletes, experienced heads and world cup winners shows the great strength of Beach Rugby"
Following the opening round of matches, all the sides headed back to Caprice for a beer and a burger with some tired legs but the vibe one of a good start to the season.
- Week One CIPLA Nutrition MVP - Raph Jetpha (Inbetweeners)
- Switch Impact Player of the Week - Robbie Fleck (Switch Players)
Round One Results
- Switch Players 3-0 Flying Fish
- CB Legends 5-0 Caprice Staff
- Husk All-Stars 2-2 Caprice Cobras
- Switch Members 1-4 Inbetweeners
- Switch Players 1-1 Husk All-Stars
- Flying Fish 1-3 Caprice Cobras
- Switch Players - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 5 - 1 - 4pts
- CB Legends - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 5 - 0 - 3pts
- Flying Fish - 2 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 6 - 0pts
- Caprice Staff - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 5 - 0pts
- Caprice Cobras - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 5 - 1 - 4pts
- Inbetweeners - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 5 - 0 - 3pts
- Husk All-Stars - 2 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 3 - 3 - 2pts
- Switch Members - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 4 - 0pts