The final evening of the regular season of Spring for the Beach Rugby Series saw eight fixtures played and the seedings, and spots finalised for the Cup and Plate come Finals Day on October 2nd.
The CB Legends have been the talk of the sands for the past 5 weeks as they have used experience and guile (and the odd training session) to dominate regular season play, topping Pool A only conceding the one score. Their Cup rivals have hope though, as the season has progressed the quality across the board has risen and the Legends have been pegged back with victories on the final evening of 1.0 against Switch Players and 3.1 over Flying Fish.
They were also pushed to the brink by an impassioned Caprice Staff side last week who managed to put together a late season surge and qualify for the Cup. Results needed to go their way on the final evening to give themselves a chance and that they did with Legends beating Switch and the Caprice themselves putting a score on Flying Fish. Caprice went into their final fixture knowing a draw with the Switch Players would put them through on Tries Scored with all other metrics being equal between the two sides.
The match was as nervy as would be expected and the first scoreless game of the season was played out but not without specatacle and as the referee below his final whistle it was summed up by Sarembock breathlessly shouting "we are through" with arms raised.
Elsewhere, the bi-polar Husk All-Stars lived up to the latter part of their team name with a destruction of the Switch Members followed by a strong victory over a resurgent Inbetweeners side. Husk finish the season with 4 wins and 4 draws and if they can retain their form on Sunday, the chance of an absolutely epic final between unbeaten Husk and CB is still possible.
So the Cup and Plate pools are now set for Finals Day which will see CB, Husk, Cobras & Caprice Staff battle it out for the title of Beach Kings of Cape Town. The Cobras perhaps the dark horse for the finals joined their brother side from Caprice in the Cup with a strong showing in the final game of the regular season and the boys in blue who have never been out of the top two will be confident.
The action was as fast paced across the board as ever and the Team of the Week features those who were at their very best on the sands this week.
- Ikraam Essop - Husk All-Stars
- Sterre Jooste - CB Legends
- Jordan Chait - Switch Players
- Richie Stemmet - Inbetweeners
- Justin Rowe-Roberts - Caprice Cobras
CIPLA Nutrition MVP - Sterre Jooste (CB Legends)
On finals day, teams will play a round robin pool before a Cup Final will see the Top 2 sides do battle for the title.
Finals Day Pools
Cup - Beach Kings of Cape Town
- CB Legends
- Husk All-Stars
- Caprice Cobras
- Caprice Staff
- Switch Players
- Switch Members
- Flying Fish
Round 5 Results
- Switch Players (0) v (1) CB Legends
- Flying Fish (0) v (4) Caprice Staff
- Husk All-Stars (6) v (0) Switch Members
- Caprice Cobras (1) v (2) Inbetweeners
- Switch Players (0) v (0) Caprice Staff
- Flying Fish (1) v (3) CB Legends
- Husk All-Stars (1) v (0) Inbetweeners
- Caprice Cobras (2) v (1) Switch Members
Final Pool Tables
- CB Legends - 8 - 8 - 0 - 0 - 32 - 1 - 24pts
- Caprice Staff - 8 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 14 - 10 - 12pts
- Switch Players - 8 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 13 - 9 - 12pts
- Flying Fish - 8 - 0 - 8 - 0 - 4 - 26 - 0pts
- Husk All-Stars - 8 - 4 - 0 - 4 - 25 - 8 - 16pts
- Caprice Cobras - 8 - 4 - 2 - 2 - 18 - 8 - 14pts
- Inbetweeners - 8 - 2 - 5 - 1 - 9 - 22 - 7pts
- Switch Members - 8 - 1 - 6 - 1 - 5 - 27 - 4pts